Floral waters give a whole new meaning to flower power; they’re subtle, aromatic, fresh, and oh-so-versatile, replacing a myriad of other skincare products! In fact, they’re my skin’s BFF because I can use them as a natural perfume, toner, body mist, and so much more!
Join me as I stop and smell the roses in this aromatic world of floral waters. I’ll show you how to harness the natural flower power of rose, lavender, and orange blossoms that will all leave your skin as bloomin’ as a fresh bouquet!
What Are Floral Waters?
Floral water is a liquid (duh) created through the steam distillation of flowers (for example, roses petals, lavender buds, or orange blossoms). Water and flowers get heated together and pressurized, extracting the natural oils from the plant/flower.
While the steam works to get the essential oils out of the plant, the water itself also permeates the flowers, picking up its properties and benefits. This “infused” water is floral water – a by-product of essential oil steam distillation. Cool huh!
What Are Their Benefits:
The difference between floral waters and essential oils is the concentration. Floral water is milder than essential oils making them more suitable for direct topical use on the skin. They’re perfectly safe for anyone to use, from sensitive skin types, children, babies, and even the elderly.
Floral waters give a whole new meaning to flower power; they’re subtle, aromatic, fresh, and oh-so-versatile, replacing a myriad of other skincare products!
I’ve have chosen to delve into 3 of the most beneficial flower waters. Here’s a list of their incredible properties:
Rose Floral Water contains powerful antioxidants that help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, making it perfect for revitalizing mature and damaged skin. Harness its gentle cleansing power to remove dirt, dust, and excess sebum build-up to reduce any future breakouts. Speaking of blemishes, the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of rose makes it ideal for soothing skin irritation and inflammation such as razor burn, eczema, rosacea, and sunburn, and it can even alleviate the sting of an insect bite!
Lavender Floral Water can help to balance skin PH level and restore damaged skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also cleansing, hydrating, and soothing, making it ideal for sensitive skin types that can’t handle other heavier facial skin products. Lavender is also effective in reducing dry skin patches and soothing irritations.
Orange Blossom Water prized for its natural healing properties is an excellent choice for oily skin types. It controls and balances the skin’s oil production gently exfoliates cleanses and refines pores. Its hydrating properties help to maintain the elasticity of the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Floral Water Uses:
Now that you know the benefits of these impressive natural ingredients, you might be wondering just how to use them? Here are a few ways that I like to use them in skincare, hair care, and around the home!
- Perfume, Face, and Body Mist: Spritzed all over your body for hydration and as a natural deodorizer. If you live in a hot climate, simply pop your floral water into the fridge to instantly cool and rehydrate your skin.
- Gentle Toner: Use as a non-irritating, non-drying skin toner to balance the skin’s PH level and reduce excess oil production.
- Hair Tamer: The nourishing and moisturizing properties of floral waters can work wonders as a natural hair tamer. Use it to aid in reducing dandruff and promote overall hair growth. I use it daily in my daughter’s hair to lessen fly-aways and detangle dry, frizzy hair.
- After Sun Spray: Floral waters contain many vitamins and antioxidants and can nourish and rehydrate the skin effectively. Their anti-inflammatory properties also help to calm and reduce redness caused by sunburn.
➤ Related: Try this DIY Soothing After Sun Gel a perfect solution for sunburnt skin. Hydrating aloe vera, rose water and vegetable glycerine will all aid in repairing and moisturising your skin.
- Face Mask: When creating a DIY face mask that requires water, try using floral water instead! They’re far more beneficial and aromatic, making them perfect for skin care and lifting your mood all in one!
- Room and Linen Spray: A quick spritz throughout your space can help you relax, reducing stress, and bringing calm. Lavender is my personal favorite to use right before bed for this reason. Spray it to freshen up sheets, towels, and pillow slips.
- Bath Fragrance: Unlike essential oils that don’t disperse entirely in water and can cause irritation, floral waters are a perfectly safe option for adding some fragrance to your bath without worry.
Where Can I Buy Quality Floral Waters From?
Ah so glad you asked!
Not all floral waters are created equal. Some brands can contain alcohol, aloe vera, or glycerine, which dilutes the floral water. In fact, some even contain fake synthetic fragrances eeewww!
Green and Bare floral waters have nothing extra added! Just 100% natural steam-distilled botanical waters that boast the best natural fragrance you can find! Perfect for calming and soothing your precious skin. Shop the range below.